Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Malu Fernandez Hubbub

Lately, I haven't had the time to browse through my daily digest of BobongPinoy. Reading my kabobo's posts is just like poring through the news. So this morning, I had the chance to see a glimpse of the Malu Fernandez issue. Here are some excerpts I got from her controversially bigoted article:

...However I forgot that the hub was in Dubai and the majority of the OFWs (overseas Filipino workers) were stationed there. The duty-free shop was overrun with Filipino workers selling cell phones and perfume. Meanwhile, I wanted to slash my wrist at the thought of being trapped in a plane with all of them...

While I was on the plane (where the seats were so small I had bruises on my legs), my only consolation was the entertainment on the small flat screen in front of me. But it was busted, so I heaved a sigh, popped my sleeping pills and dozed off to the sounds of gum chewing and endless yelling of "HOY! Kumusta ka na? At taga saan ka? Domestic helper ka rin ba?" Translation: "Hey there? Where are you from? Are you a domestic helper as well?" I though I had died and God had sent me to my very own private hell...

On my way back, I had to bravely take the economy flight once more. This time I had already resigned myself to being trapped like a sardine in a sardine can with all these OFWs smelling of AXE and Charlie cologne while Jo Malone evaporated into thin air.

All in all, it's been a pretty good summer. Jetting from the Aegean Sea to the Pacific may sound a bit pretentious until you wake up in economy class smelling like air freshener...


Honestly, I don't want to ride in the hubbub that turned out. But, of course, this article is stinking with putridity that the Filipino in you wants to stab at. I don't want to comment so soon especially I haven't read the whole article and I don't have enough sources to read. I'm currently going through http://www.tingog.com/to enlighten me. Might as well you read it with me, too.

What I want to know are:
1. Why is she riding in the economy class if she hates riding with our kababayans?
2. What's wrong with her to even write such stuff, knowing full well that she'll get an angry mob? Was she even thinking? Or is it for show, to gain popularity?
3. Moreover, why did her editors publish it? Where's the social responsibility here?

I hope I get the answers. Help me if you can. Thanks! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment