Friday, October 31, 2008

Strive to Be an Independent Senior Citizen

My friend Aileen sent me an email regarding the status of senior citizens here in the Philippines. This is very saddening statistics and I hope to find (if I can) new stats with more optimistic results.

In 1995, a study was made by SSS on the status of an average Filipino. The study showed that, at age 65,

45% of Filipinos are dependent on their relatives,
30% are dependent on charity
23% are still working
2% are financially independent

If we do not fight the war of poverty today, 95% of Filipinos might be below the poverty line by the time they reach the age 65.

The STATISTICS are alarming! No wonder most income is insufficient: there is a never ending price increase in gasoline, electricity, tuition and other necessities; some other relatives are also dependent on your income.

Therefore, it is very important that we make deliberate efforts to fight poverty now while we are still young and able. There is an old saying,"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL".

BY CHINKEE TAN, Author of TILL DEBT DO US PART - www.chinkeetan.com

I actually dream of retiring by 30. I mean, I don't want to be stuck in the office like forever.

Tech Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment